Monday, May 9, 2011

Falls Village Flower Farm


A gift certificate from a thoughtful person led me to a return trip to my home town for one of my favorite perennial stops. The Falls Village Flower Farm (www.fallsvillageflowerfarmct.com) is just a few miles from my mom's nursing home. Convenient! Barring none, the perennials here are consistently the healthiest I've ever seen, priced fairly, and "Roberta" is happy to share her vast knowledge of each plant she offers. Better yet, I have a nostalgic connection to her home which is in a pastoral, country setting, so it's a bit like going home. The Kesters, dear friends of my parents, lived there in the 1950's. Charlotte was the town librarian; Bryan was an artist. If you had the joy of sitting on their porch, you knew the feeling of never wanting to leave that spot. The Kesters would be so happy if they could look down and see the gardens that surround their home. If I had been a more focused photographer, I would have taken garden pictures.....maybe next trip. The Kesters would delight in the spirit of friendly sharing and hard work that has settled onto their little plot of land. I came home two plants richer - a mertensia and a Red Fox Veronica. My car desperately wanted to make a U-turn for a "Falls Village Select Helleborus." That, too, will wait for next time.

2 comments: