Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Autumn Clematis, Autumn Delight


The Autumn Clematis has astounded and delighted me more than any other perennial in the garden this year. In a rare and gasping moment I realized that I finally have a plant that looks as lush in my garden as it did when it first caught my eye in a catalogue. I planted it one year ago, it climbs and climbs, blooms its heart out, and says every day of it's late summer life, "I love you for buying me!" It is Mother Nature's bridal bouquet, heavy laden upon the trellis. A word about the trellis.... my new bare bones garden/patio was in great need of a focal point when our home was built three years ago. My brother had recently purchased an older home that had a beautiful, old picket fence and trellis in the backyard. He called one day to ask if I could use the trellis which wasn't fitting in with the plan for his yard. Rarely have I jumped upon an offer with such enthusiasm. Once gracing an older garden owned by people unknown to me, passed on to me by Henry, transported in our handy old red van , carefully installed by Hank, it has found a good home on its sentimental journey. Today I noticed the first blossom of a late blooming morning glory climbing up the other side. It's a new variety for me, softer than the "heavenly blue" variety, just an experiment. Soon the two vines will meet at the top and there will be a real occasion for that bridal bouquet. Now those are the kind of garden weddings I love to attend!

No comments:

Post a Comment