Sunday, September 28, 2014

The Sweet Spots of the Fall Garden

For two days I have been cleaning the Fall Garden. The sun was bright, the temps were in the 80's, the chickadees buzzed at me while I worked.  The days bore the euphoria of Indian Summer, but technically cannot be called that as we have not had our first frost.

I fed three wheelbarrows of trimmings and debris to the compost pile.  I cut back late summer bloomers to give sunshine to the foliage of spring bloomers that need a little boost before winter.  A few things begged to be moved to a friendlier spot and so out they came and off they went.  I watered well, having just read of the importance of Fall watering to wintering over.  This is the kind of work I love.  The late September garden is a quiet garden, muted, but there are treasures and even surprises.

 This was my last purchase of the gardening season.  It is a Fall bloomer named Gentian.  In all its true blue glory, it pops!


 My sweet alyssum re-seeds along the patio wall each year.  Some wither and some flourish.  This is ONE alyssum plant that must have liked its location and getting cozy with the red dahlietta.


 I discovered this one little dahlietta blossom hiding in the foliage when I cut my shasta daisy patch back.  I had re-planted last year's dahlietta tubers willy-nilly because the permanent marker wore off the labels over the winter. I had forgotten I even had this one whose yellow is ever so delicately edged in pink.


 My morning glories never blossom until September, so I really appreciate them in the small window of time before frost.

Helenium Bruno is  a true autumn color.  Here is is reaching over to a late blooming stalk of Digitalis.

When my bones and back couldn't take one more task I fixed my tea and took my book to the patio.  One season was pulling me back as another urged me forward.   The sun was beating down on my back, driving me to the shade.  Yet as I looked over at the birdbath I saw yellow and gold leaves floating in the water.

My garden is small.  It is not spectacular.  But on days like this I know that it is just right for me.

4 comments:

  1. Your garden is spectacular! I was dividing hostas today and found the soil unbelievably dry.........desert-like. We need rain he so very badly. Did you come across any snakes in your cleanup today??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Midge. And no snakes!! Yes, very dry here. But I see that for several days next week-end/week we are getting showers.

      Delete
  2. Lauri-ann - your garden looks as beautiful now as it does in early July!! Is Gentian a perennial? I am in need of late summer color.
    N

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Gentian is a perennial. Hope it has a good first winter.

    ReplyDelete